Sunday, January 15, 2012

Bachelor baking challenge #2

My last venture with baking resulted in what I've dubbed "Shortbread Boulders"--they were shortbread cookies made for my chemistry lab, I made sure they were gluten-free because one of my classmates had/has Celiac disease (basically, gluten agitates the body enough that the immune system starts attacking  the digestive system).

In mid-December, my neighbor, Bethany, gave us (me, she may have meant to share it with my dad too) a wonderful pot pie.  She's very health conscious, and the pie was made from free-range, organic AND gluten free ingredients.

It was excellent, I ate all of it over the course of two meals and many friends on campus were either amazed that I brought an entire casserole for myself as a lunch, or envious that its contents smelled and looked so very enticing.


About a month later, I've finally resolved to return the casserole with something that meets most of the previous conditions Bethany had set:  I'd make something with granola (relatively gluten free), Mulberry Preserves made by the a few friends of mine in Detroit (they collected and cooked it with the Detroit Asian Youth project, I played music afterward and brought some food for everyone to enjoy).

Mulberry Preserve made by the good people of
the Detroit Asian Youth (AKA DAY project),
the label was designed by Michelle Martinez.
The photo is mine, and the lion looks suspiciously similar to me...

Look beyond the jump for the musings about baking...


Here's what I've got:
Organic Granola ("Michele's Granola" from Maryland)
Detroit Day Jam (my friend Michelle's Jam from Detroit)
Organic Soy Milk (amazingly, dad bought a box of it on accident--neither of us actively drink soy milk, even organic milk is a rarity for us)

This makes me think I can pull off a vegan baking recipe.  Yet every recipe I read suggested that flour and eggs are required as adhesive agents.

Later I learned that:

Bananas
&
Peanut Butter

Can take the place of butter/eggs (via The Punk Kitchen).
Are suitable substitutes for butter and other things normally needed in baking.

So I'm citing my research here and hope to document with the in-house camera:

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Delicious-Raspberry-Oatmeal-Cookie-Bars-Allrecipes
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,174,153180-239206,00.html
http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Flourless-Peanut-Choco_granola-Cookie-Recipezaar
http://www.egglesscooking.com/2010/08/27/vegan-oatmeal-cranberry-cookies/http://www.egglesscooking.com/2011/04/22/vegan-cranberry-banana-cookies/

With luck, it'll turn out edible and enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment