Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Autumn flavors return

There's something about the autumn that makes my senses and imagination more acute and attuned to certain flavors.


Note that I've yet to make these combinations happen, but I'm convinced that they should work well (in theory at least)...


Here's a few that came to mind:
1) Butternut Squash soup with Curry.
Inspired by the aromas from an Ann Arbor Indian restaurant as I was walking on Maynard and Williams to the UM Undergraduate Library this past Saturday evening (the 29th).


2) Pumpkin+Apple bake (cinnamon is the common denominator for a pie or torte of sorts).


3) Pumpkin pie oatmeal with maple syrup and/or brown sugar. (an idea from last year, I still have yet to make this combination...)


The latter is decidedly very suburban--it was inspired by smelling an instant oatmeal packet being microwaved while I was working at the Engineering Society of Detroit.


Not quite related as I don't see this fitting in with the rest of the flavors or autumn, but this happened today and therefore shall be included in the list:


Pho with something on the side like dried pineapple slices with hummus. 


Dad made the vietnamese soup and I added a little too much Hoisin sauce (mostly sweet and a bit salty). This left me wanting something a bit more grounded, solid, and mellow in flavor.  Dried pineapple and hummus did the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment