Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dreams do come true!

Some of the best dreams are the ones that come true, and I'd like to recommend that culinary dreams are a great place to start. All you need are the right ingredients and a taste for what you want to eat when you wake up.

One morning I dreamed I had arrived late for a culinary competition taking place somewhere at a college culinary program's cafeteria/kitchen in the mid-west (maybe one of the Dakotas--sometimes I get a feel for where I am geographically in my dreams), but found that teams were to devise a blend of two usable existing components, propose the dish to the "master chef" (rather than master chief?) for approval and make a new dish of them.

My team was looking demoralized and frustrated, but there were a lot of fresh herbs and cheeses on our table.

A scoop of tabbouleh and pesto on French bread slices came to mind, and I got it approved by the master chef (even though it was a dream, I addressed her politely as master chef) and I set off to make it.

About 10 minutes later, I woke up, went straight to the kitchen, and took each container from the fridge (thank goodness for pre-made pesto and tabobouleh!).

Here's how I made it come to reality (using available ingredients in my fridge):

Crusty multigrain bread slices ~1-3/4" (close enough to eat)
each toasted with a 1/2 slice of swiss on top
&
About a teaspoon of pesto (whatever we've got in the fridge, it's salty thus my reserved use of pesto) mixed with a heaping scoop of tabbouleh until the masses were heterogeneous in appearance

As I was making my dream come true (in seeing if the combination would actually taste good) I realized in retrospect that I probably would have lost points for presentation and taste as it would literally be a slice of bread with a scoop of pesto and a scoop of tabbouleh on top of some cheese. So I decided I'd blend the two together.

I also had some eggs drizzled with Cholula to go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment